View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
[/SAAARCASM ON]

Yes, judging from what I'm watching on the news, all those people CHOSE to stay there. They all look quite wealthy and well-off, like they could afford to hop on a jet and just get on outta there. They all look like they have family all over the place they could have gone to stay with, and the homes they chose to stay in definitely look like typical summer resorts. I'm pretty sure they all had the special FEMA-offered-only flood insurance that is so easy to come by, and are just waiting around for their checks.

As for the looting, oh, well, I'm sure they'll all be SO wealthy from those wet Nikes they're making it out of there with. I'm sure the rafts, the foodstuffs, the juice and water off the shelves of stores that are going to be a complete loss in 3 days anyhow are just going to waste, and those people who just lost everything they know are only doing that out of greed. I haven't seen a SINGLE little kid caught down in there.

[/Sarcasm off]

Jazuela, normally, I have every respect for you on these boards. Your opinion is one I generally value. This time, however, your judgmental attitude toward people in crisis makes me completely sick. I can *somewhat* see where you are coming from, but to me, that doesn't make a lick of difference, whether they 'chose' to stay or not. There are enough folks down there who HAD NO CHOICE that just seeing you justify inaction because you don't want to help those you deem morally 'lesser' makes me sick.

Put yourself in those looters' shoes (so to speak). Poor to begin with, no transportation out of the city, no way to pay for a hotel stay of unknown duration, no family to go stay with, and now, no electricity, no food, no water. I doubt most of them had cupboards full of food to begin with, and now, the entire cupboards are gone. I wonder how many of them even HAVE any basic insurance, let alone flood insurance.

Did you donate to tsunami relief? Does it bother you that some of the people in the affected area MIGHT be terrorists? That they looted? Do you *know* if they did or not? How about 9/11 families? Think any of those people MIGHT have ever committed a white-collar crime? Think any of their spouses benefitted from it?

How you can sit here, with internet access, and judge those who have just lost everything they know, people who, all they HAVE now is *what* they are looting out of stores, without showing the slightest bit of compassion, is BEYOND ME. Do you think they and their stolen Nikes are going to make it OUT of N.O.? Not on any rescue transportation mode I can think of. That stuff will sit there, left behind anyhow.

Justifying not helping just because the people on the receiving end of it MIGHT not be up to your moral and ethical standards...that's a pretty slick way to go. That way, you never have to help ANYONE.

[/sending off the pittance she can afford to the Red Cross, no matter WHO's on the receiving end.]
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote