View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #53
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Compliance reminder if your MUD uses OLC

Part of the pervasive argument here is that Jason Dinkel released source code containing the words "Public Domain" -- but The Isles OLC has never been in the public domain and that was his mistaken interpretation of the permission I gave for him to create a 'port' - a port which by the way was made from Merc 2.2 to Merc 2.2 so there is hardly any difference between "The Isles OLC" and "ILAB OLC" except Jason's documentation and credits. So, years later, I am reminding people of what the original agreement was since it appears to no longer be a part of the general community understanding. Back in the day, we credited people if they asked for it and if we used their code in a way using the honor system. Since I only gave it out to certain individuals, they each had their respective licenses, which were all pretty much:

a) Contact me if you are going to use our code (which is why Jason contacted me)
b) Credit us in "HELP CREDITS"
c) Credit us in "HELP VERSION" and/or "HELP THANKS"
d) Credit us in your title sequence

Now, I've chosen to forgive a) since people can't seem to find my email address or something or just don't think about or want to contact me. But, it turns out the same folks won't do b, c, or d either. I can only hope that changes.