View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
unpunished

unpunished is on a distinguished road
Re: C++, and Python or Pike -- looking for something new

Hello, I too highly recommend NakedMUD as it is a great fit for your requirements. As ShadowsDawn mentioned, you barely have to touch C code if you want so it could be a good way for you to learn Python and have fun doing it. The documentation provided with the codebase is better than most I've seen as well, and should get you up and running in relatively no time at all.

To be honest, had C# and the .NET framework not become mainstream by now, I would be using this codebase. Unfortunately, ANSI C is rather outdated by today's standards(see "ancient") and I don't see much use for it anymore besides very low-level applications. And IMHO, C++ is just as bad with the advent of new programming technologies, though many will beg to differ I am sure. You will find however and I see this especially with game programming frameworks(MUD or otherwise) most will stick with C++ simply for legacy code compatibility. It is cheaper for a company to continue using an older language for compatibility reasons than to rewrite all their frameworks from scratch.

For your purposes however, I believe NakedMUD will be an excellent way to learn Python scripting. After you have some basics down of course!
unpunished is offline   Reply With Quote