View Single Post
Old 09-16-2002, 06:45 PM   #4
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Honestly, I complain far more often on the game I run that there aren't enough people playing proper nobility - even the people who claim to come from noble backgrounds often turn commoner because it's more politically correct.

Playing a noble is, in many ways, fraught with the same perils as playing a villain: You aren't popular with the "little people," you're viewed as a snob, and plotted against by other snobs just like you.

I don't think the kind of character you choose to play determines how "serious" you are as a roleplayer. It's how you approach *any* character you choose to play, and whether you invest in them a feeling of multiple facets. If you're going to play a villain, don't just snicker and twirl your mustache all the time. Have likes and dislikes. Have trusted confidantes. Be a real person, who believes in what they're doing.

Some other pitfalls that aspiring roleplayers should avoid:

- Don't powerpose. That means don't do things like: Bob throws a glass of water in Ted's face. In most games, unless there's an automated code system that takes into account Bob's throwing skill and Ted's ability to dodge, you should be a good sport and simply pose TRYING to throw the water in Ted's face.
- Don't speedwalk. This is especially important in RP enforced games. It's a problem when you see newbies zooming around on "explorer" mode, passing through crowded rooms several times while getting the lay of the land - rather than actually stopping to interact and RP with other players.
- Avoid metaposing. This is a personal preference thing, which is why I don't call it a "don't," and simply recommend avoiding it. But, this involves interjecting a character's internal dialogue and thoughts into a pose. One way this is abused - and why I prefer to avoid it - is the personal attack on another character that prevents the other character from responding in kind. Here's an example: Bob just shakes his head as he stares at Ted, who is clearly an idiot. This leaves Ted without any recourse to defend himself. It's a cheap shot.

Others will come as I think of them.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote