View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Learning Programing

Beware, for Python is slow. You probably want to stick to Pypy, not cpython. I've played one mud implemented in python, and, well, it showed (that, or the people behind it really, really need to consider some of their design philosophies, and how everything shouldn't take half a second to execute). Moral of the story is you want Pypy--it's what everyone outside the mudding community is using these days. At the moment, it's 2.7, but support for 3 is coming, and...well, 3 isn't going to really matter for another 5 years or so. It's an example of why, after a point, you shouldn't make breaking changes to the language.
If you're looking for newbie friendly languages, Python is fine. If you want to start stretching the bounds of what muds can do...well, no, at least not in my opinion. I'm not going to throw you at C++, but you might want to look around a bit for things that are faster. I doubt you're ready to go implement an event queue for example (which takes the place of the main game loop, with huge gains in efficiency).
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote