View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #60
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Tell me how can your roleplay be intense when you have no fear of dying with the character you are roleplaying, it's an out-of-character influence that WILL influence your roleplay. How would an actor feel if he was playing the role of a humble warrior, (for example William Wallace in braveheart) but knew he could not die? How could he portray the role then? Would it be as believable if William Wallace truly could shoot fireballs from his eyes and lightning bolts from his arse? Of course not. That's why there are certain elements that make an RPI an RPI, these elements are intense, without permadeath you cannot call yourself RPI hence the word intense, you are just a roleplaying mud.

You said something about an OOC channel too? Well that's the same deal, anyone who wants to use an OOC channel instead of staying in character at all times is not intense enough for an RPI. It's simple as that, you want to talk about non-game related things visit the mud forum or go to IRC, I made an IRC channel way back for Armageddon and now it's pretty commonplace, even though I rarely visit it now, why have channels in a roleplaying mud? It detracts from the virtual game world, and the believability that you are in a different realm, playing out this novel. Anyways, I have played lots of muds in my time and RPI is the pinnacle, even though it may sound elitist, do whatever is entertaining and fun for you..When I was 12 I loved going around killing mobs and playing GodWars muds, but now I'm a bit more mature and grown up and I think that's why I eventually ascended to the RPI genre. Good day.

-Del
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote