Old 04-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #88
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye

Nhl, I am no zealot. I am not against commercial games, I am not against free games, I am not against Medievia. And my commentary was, of course, not meant to shut you up. Until you resorted to name-calling, we had gone thus far without resorting to flaming in a conversation that is prone to flamewars.

I will restate what I said, and again use a very recognizable comparison to re-enforce. If you seek to change the social acceptance and attitude towards MUDs that break the DIKU License through forum lobbying, you are more than welcome. If everything stayed the same, there would never be any progression. But, as this community largely feels very strongly about the DIKU Licensing issue, you should expect before you make even your first post that by siding with others whose acts have already been judged by the online society as unethical, that you put your own motives and opinions into ethical fire.

I'm not judging you, beyond the fact that you insinuated that I am some sort of zealot. If I were to politically lobby against women's rights in the workplace, because I honestly believed that, genetically, they could not do as well as men in certain fields of work - I would be ready for and even expect the social backlash, as I recognize that my point-of-view(whether or not it is valid) would be vehemetly disagreed with and possibly even viewed as unethical.

In summary, if you are prepared to lobby for a change of the social status quo, know that when you prod at a sensitive issue that you should be ready for backlash(possibly flames in the case of an online society). If you cannot accept that, then(as you are told if you desire to become a political lobbyist) you probably do not feel strongly enough about your opinion to really want to change the status quo.

---

Back to the thread itself, though - all of this talk of ethics and sociology originates from my response to Matt's statement that law should be the pencil that draws the ethics line for online code. I personally believe that the DIKU License should be respected for what DIKU has given the community, but either way - I have mostly just been using the laws of sociology(particularly online sociology, which tends to be unique and is very interesting to me) to explain the issue.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote