View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Post MySQL for CircleMUD Player Saves: Thoughts

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of hooking up a fairly antiquated CircleMUD 2.0 code-base into a MySQL server running on the same box (Ubuntu 10+). The first stage is the player rent (equipment) files, and that's now being tested prior to release.

I expected MySQL to be just as fast, if not faster, than file r/w, but instead I'm noticing a tiny 'hiccup' when a player enters and exits the game. All EQ is loaded in one query result from an indexed table so I'm not sure what I can do to make this go away. I think I can live with what looks like a step back in speed because I intend to do a lot with 'unique' player objects and MySQL seems like the only practical way to go. Still, I'm wondering if there's something else I can do to speed up the request?

As a broader question, I was wondering if anyone else out there has been using MySQL for a similar purpose and what their experience is/was with response times/reliability etc. in a production/live setting.

For those who are not familiar with CircleMUD, it normally auto-saves all players every 5 minutes or so, and also every time their equipment changes. The OOB config places each player's objects inside a binary (later versions text) file. It's an ongoing r/w that sometimes causes loss of individual players' equipment due to file corruption, etc. (This is another reason for the SQL port.)

P. S. On a separate note, I can share some MySQL conversion code for CircleMUD if anyone is interested in going the same route.

Last edited by plamzi : 10-22-2010 at 01:33 AM.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote