Thread: Pay to Play?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2002, 12:29 AM   #1
Seraphina

Seraphina is on a distinguished road
This comment was in the thread about casting multiple votes. One thing I have realized since coming here is not all pay to play muds are created equal any more than all free muds are.

The only pricing structure I know of in detail is Dragonrealms. It is 12.95 per month to play. I have never liked the idea of multi-tiered memberships but for the most part it works out well in Dragonrealms. I think the same goes for the other Simutronics games but I can't speak from first hand experience with those.

I recently became a premium member but for about five years I played with a basic 12.95 per month account without it impeding the advancement of my character. I was still able to attend festivals, get alterations, get nifty articles, accumulate just as much as any other character in game.

Periodically I assess my expenditures including my membership to DR. If I didn't play DR, what other form of entertainment would replace it? What do you get for 12.95 a month these days? Not much in my corner of the world. Taking into account the number of hours I play it's an incredibly cheap form of entertainment.

From what I have read I am sure the free muds are good too, but probably in different ways. I think comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Both fruits but with very different textures and flavors. I recall one GM posting about all the games he plays or has played, and there were a lot of graphic games in there <shudder>. Once I got over my shock it sunk in that he liked them all for different reasons. His enjoying everquest for a while didn't take anything away from his dedication to his favorite game, DR.

Dellica of DR
Seraphina is offline   Reply With Quote