View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: The Book and the Movie

I couldn't agree more, though I can't speak for others.

I've been a long time face-to-face roleplayer, starting with D&D back in 1977, and since then using many systems, many home-grown, others like Champions, Rolemaster, Amber Diceless (which I'd have to say is close to a favorite), and others, like World of Darkness and GURPS.

I never liked single-player RPGs, and MMOGs, while I thought they might be the way to take my RPing online, were miserable failures.

After the demise of Wish (during beta-testing no less), which I thought had a chance to have at least elements of RP, I was pointed to MUDs. However, I had to say I chafed at them too. The PvE grind that the one I played for 3 months had was completely uninteresting to me. The RP seemed... stilted and constrained, seemingly spoon fed as game content or related to PvP.

That's when I found MUSHes, and I haven't looked back. In most, you RP, pure and simple, at least in the ones I play. No XP grind, no "bashing" against stupid AI NPCs. If you fight an NPC, it'scontrolle d by another player. You don't want to fight, you don't. The ones I like have time-based advancement (kind of like Eve, if you play that MMOG).

And to me it's the freedom of saying exactly what I'm doing. Fighting how I say I'm fighting (my MUSHes are all free-form, usually consent-based). Some call it "interactive fiction" to draw the distinction between that and more standard hack-and-slash play.

Maybe someday they'll have computer systems that could take what I'm doing and turn it into video (remember the holodecks of ST-TNG?), but I'm not sure I'd like that, even. I'm not into LARPing, and like the 3-5 minutes I get to think of a response for my character.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote