View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you enjoy about RP?

I think I may have posted this once before on these boards.
I was once explaining to someone why they should mud. I said:
Remember when you were a kid and someone got a new fridge and they left the box at the curb and everyone played in it? It was a house and a rocket and a pirate ship, and it took you to the Gold Coast and to desert islands? Remember that?
Well, you can’t go play in the box anymore cause the neighbors will talk and you’ll end up on the sex offender registry. But mudding is like that box. And you get to pretend with big words and no annoying children.

Sometimes the worlds we create are more interesting than the one we live in, or sometimes they’re a place to go when real life gets too interesting.

I have been writing fiction for about 15 years. Been published a few times online, once in print, once on a coffee mug and once in a voice recording done by an actor. But mostly I don’t get published and damn I want to be read. And when I am read on the internet, in a magazine, on a coffee mug, I’m not there to enjoy being read. RP is an immediate gratification of the read me urge.

Writing is lonely. Mudding is social. And it’s like getting to write your favorite novel. It’s like getting to read your favorite novel and being able to influence where it goes. Or being pulled along with story kicking and screaming. It is fully immersive fiction. That’s delicious.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote