View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:53 AM   #20
Starling

Starling is on a distinguished road
I play Shattered Kingdoms.

The rules are pretty clear. But even if no multiplaying was involved, the character was using a "workaround" to cheat the code that is intended to keep newbie-level characters from hoarding high level equipment. SK allows players to use whatever it is they pick up, be it newbie-level equipment or grandmaster level equipment... unlike some other muds, where you can't even pick up something that is "too powerful" for you. However, the mud is coded so that when you log out, there is a chance that equipment that is higher-level than your character will vanish (the IC explanation is that thieves set upon you in the night) and reappear in its original location. I think the intent is twofold: to protect newbies from being killed for any high-level equipment they find (there are rules protecting newbies as well), and to ensure that the higher level equipment sooner or later is available to the higher level characters on the game.

Burying or dropping equipment to find later in order to get around this is an OOC action, and not one that a character would likely IC do. I think most players on SK would regard that as cheating because it is an abuse of code, intended to give an advantage to one's character that the game clearly does not intend.

All things considered, if it had been me, I would be thanking my lucky stars my character hadn't been deleted for abusing code. The other muds I've played wouldn't have been so tolerant.

Just my own opinion on it.
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote