View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
Adelai

Adelai is on a distinguished road
I can tell everyone how not to handle it :-)

Last MUD I worked at had the slight problem of any mob over level 80 being able to kill any player in two or three hits, a needed power because of the ridiculously unbalanced remort system that was set in place.

Now this was a modestly popular mud, with about 20-30 players at any given time of the day. People complained a little about how if you didn't have the hold spell or the block skill, both of which made the mob unable to hit, you essentially stalled out at 90.

So the admin (all of whom I admired and still do as intelligent people looking out for the best of the MUD) decided to rework the damage system, lower the max allowed +HnD on items and revamp the mobs.

the unfortunate part (as a low-level PR imm I protested this, but eh, they were a bit frazzled by the constant complaints that started as soon as the impending changes were announced) is that they never told the pbase when these things would happen. As a result, items and kits which had once made a player powerful were wildly skewed, to a player's perspective. Mob power was also lowered, so things were easier to kill, but no one knew what was worthwhile anymore. And then the talk of a pwipe...

So, everyone got mad, and everyone but 2 or 3 left. The imms followed suit after a few months tweaking an empty MUD :-) It's now officially dead and gone.

and yeah, so that's my story of what not to do to keep your MUD running - inform! The players may not like what they hear, they may protest or leave, but if you inform and involve them (especially making concessions as your MUD did) they're mor likely to eventually drift back and try again.
Adelai is offline   Reply With Quote