View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #29
ning03

ning03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ning03
It is quite simply folks. "Roleplaying" is playing a role, assuming an identity other than your own. Nothing will ever change that. "Roleplaying" is not defined by the degree of how you choose to act out this identity.

Simply put, all MUDs have "roleplaying"... it is circumstances presented that complicates interpretation. What are these complications? It is the world, it is the code, it is how you play, interaction and reaction. So do not claim that a certain class of MUD lacks roleplay. In fact, it is safe to say that the existance of roleplay does not make the MUD or even make it better but the essence of the games lies in how the players play the role.

"Roleplaying Encouraged"... what does that mean to you? If its purpose is to encourage player to interact with their world and other players on a level, a personal level apart from "hacking" and "slashing" ... then that is not the best term to use.

To me, "Roleplaying Encouraged" means simply to stay in character.

To me, it does not mean to react and interact with the environment is a specific, stereotypical way.

What if "hacking" and "slashing" is an important part of a certain MUD and certain character, whether it is circumstance, their choice or how the game is designed? We cannot criticize how a certain group plays when how one goes about playing depends on, again, the game itself. If the game is designed for "more specific roleplaying" (using the expression for lack of a better term), it is only natural that they will interact differently.

So, "roleplaying" is self explanatory. It is a principle of gameplay, an important part of all MUDs.

I think this post is more about the degrees of IC and OCC because there here is a difference between "hacking" and "slashing" because of your character's survival, path, training and personality, and "hacking" and "slashing" to improve your numbers and rankings in order to have some L337 STATS.

It is the OCCers that ruin the game.

A couple words of advice, always remember to stay IC ^_-.
ning03 is offline   Reply With Quote