Thread: New MUD Idea
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2002, 03:44 PM   #16
Letum

Letum is on a distinguished road
Hello-

I see your point in this, how I could combine NPC and PC to create a 24-hour MUD. However, I am wondering whether my PC players would be interesting of being a leutenant as you suggest on a ship where at the moment everyone else is an NPC.

As for the player-base. I do agree thatI could have entirely NPC-run ships in each fleet, and only a couple PC ships. However, I would like to eventually integrate in PCs on NPC ships, and eventually have the game entirely PC-run. If you are playing in a world where you're always interacting with a person, I think it's much more exciting. Now, integrating PC characters wouldn't replace NPC AI acting as real characters, but it would eventually replace NPC characters that are fully NPC-operated.

I also think that you should have PCs down the line. If everybody has already been promoted once, it leaves no irony or mutiney possibilities within the innrer-shipman. In the first Hornblower book, one big deal is Hornblower's hatred of his senior officer, Simpson. It is his insistance to duel to the finish with Simpson that eventually gets him transfered to another, actually sea-bound ship that he makes prize money off of. They didn't want Hornblower to kill another officer or himself, so they transfered him. The inner-workings of the ship still have to take place.

Thank you,

-Letum
Letum is offline   Reply With Quote