View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it Impolite Not to Share?

I have to take issue with this last statement. Nothing limits the potential story? Everything limits it. Every single player on a MUSH limits the direction and completion of any story. If a player doesn't want to scale the wall, or feels that the wall is too high, or feels that you aren't adept enough, end of story.

A MUSH is only as good as the weakest writer/roleplayer in the game because it is owned and controlled not by code but rather by emotes and how giving/non-giving a player is. I used to play mushes before muds and this scenario was typical:

[bob motes]
Bob flies into the the room and backfists Jake with a punishing blow, breaking his nose and sending him careening into the north wall.

[jake motes--attempting to validate bob's mote, but also his own]
Shaking off the affect of the backfist, Jake wipes his face, clearing his eyes and stands boldly. His nose reforms from his healing amulet and as Bob prepares to advance, he holds both hands in front of him sending a massive freezing vortex surrounding Bob and locking him in place. Jake wanders over to Bob, chuckles, and walks out of the room.

Could this work? Sure. Could it be exciting? Yes. But it is entirely based upon cooperation with the two people involved, which means real conflict is non-existant for the most part. But this isn't a thread about the virtues of MUD's vs. MUSHes, so in context of the thread, I will agree with others: the environment dictacts what needs to be prepared and talked about ahead of time. On a MUSH, I would think it is almost imperative to prediscuss or even discuss on an ooc level constantly what is happening during important or conflict events.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote