Thread: You
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
kaylus1

No, that is quite a different concept. That's a Dynamic description, versus a Static. Changing the description of a gnome so it says
"The large, heavyset gnome towers over you, grinning evilly. You shudder in fear of what he might do." is just plain silly.

-- The gnome towers over me, and i'm an 8 foot tall Death Knight!? Why is he always grimacing, even when he just got knocked unconscious?! Why do I shudder in fear, I am a Death Knight and master of all gnomes!? --

With combat you can have the combat engine check if it hurt or not, so it's a dynamic description. With hunger, you check if they have eaten or not, dynamic again.

Let me write a banquet hall that has in the description "Seeing all the food you are overcome with hunger", now if they had just gorged on alot of food and they are stuffed, how does that work?

IMO, players are more of a culprit then builders. Especially when it comes to the "You drool in lust at the sight of her" desc's. Anyways, neither way is wrong, it just depends totally on taste.