View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 03:45 AM   #14
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Thraithe wrote:
Logging is effective when it comes to checking things like multiplay or abuse of certain imm commands, like set, load or OLC. It’s a pretty obvious precaution to take, and I think most serious muds do it, us too, as I have already stated twice. But that is not what I am talking about.

Most cheating in a mud is done by players swapping info that shouldn’t be shared, (usually Quest info) - what we call ‘blabbing’. It may and may not involve imms, usually it's done player to player. You don’t catch that with logs, unless you log and check every private conversation in the mud.
That’s where snooping or wizinvis spying comes in. And that’s what I am referring to when I talk about player privacy.

Given the chatter that usually goes on in a mud all the time, I doubt that logging all channels would be very feasible either. You’d get tons of logs to wade through every day. I seriously doubt even a heavy RP Mud, like the one John is referring to, continuously logs all channels. They probably just do it during certain Roleplay sessions. But correct me if I am wrong.

Anyhow, RP Enforced muds is not what I am talking about either. They probably have their own special problems. Per definition there wouldn't even be any 'private conversations', since they are supposed to be 100 %IC, hence no privacy problem either.

The problems I am referring to occur in Muds with some kind of power competition, i.e. most muds with an element of hack'n'slash, especially if PK is involved.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote