View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 AM   #19
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: MUD Players' Bill of Rights

Here is the value add. But first a slight digression.

Muds have been around now for about 30 years. That's a long time on the Internets. Long enough for the first developers of muds to now be grandparents. However what I don't see in the face of this impressive mudding history is much institutional memory of what has gone before, been done, and might be lessons for the future. This memory exists more like digital rock art, things we might come upon randomly out on a hike somewhere and interpret. But it's largely transitory, and we reinvent these concepts over and over.

One of the concepts this memory could include is a cultural quality of how we treat one another. There are communities that build a culture and pass it on from one to the next. In time the concept is almost set in stone. This is never entirely good or entirely bad, but I think there are things that are more negative (a culture of hate) and more positive (a culture of respect). At a certain point no one may even remember there was a bill of rights. But its effects will be inscribed in the values of the community that grow from it.

Someone needs to plant the seed.

OK, time to clean out my bong.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote