View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #57
misao

misao is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

Eh, if anyone has ever found a MUD with an overall good quality of writing (not just a few isolated players), -please- do tell me! I've been looking for one for ages. I've tried quite a few and remain skeptical, although I do agree that there is nothing that makes such a thing impossible in MUDs.

No, Delerak, if the MUD in question is Armageddon, I -disagree-. I cannot even begin to fathom how you can consider the quality of writing there (not the quality of RP, we've beaten that damn horse to exhaustion indeed) on par with some of the MUSHes I've seen. Including Nymeria's logs. It's not about the length, yes, but a certain level of detail and style has to be there to be considered 'good writing' (not 'good roleplay'). Would you be too happy with a fiction book that you bought if it went 'A female dwarf smiles. A female dwarf says 'Greetings, traveller'. A female dwarf takes a swig from a mug of ale.'? The plot and character development and everything may be awesome, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not 'good writing quality'.

I agree that you don't need to have 'good writing quality' for 'good roleplay' to happen -- indeed, many MU*s acknowledge that they -don't- want you to write prose, but rather that they prefer you to sacrifice 'quality of writing' for speed and realism, to emulate real life instead of a storybook. But your claims are ludicrous. It's okay for your favourite genre to have some disadvantages, you know. Everything does. I applaud many people here for objectively listing the pros and cons of each category, and I have learnt a lot from them. You, however, seem to think that your favoured group of RPGs are the standard of perfection, and everything else isn't.

I have played RTS's for many years, and have even participated in and won a few tournaments. Yet I could list you without hesitation the disadvantages of such games compared to others. It's a hallmark of maturity to be able to do so, IMHO.

Last edited by misao : 09-23-2009 at 10:03 PM.
misao is offline   Reply With Quote