View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I think it really depends on the type of game. In a game that has all those automatic newbie help blurbs that scroll up your screen...

I'd recommend

1) Slow them down! Give the newbie time to read it and do stuff before the next one shows up. A newbie tip every 30 seconds would drive me absolutely nuts.

2) The very FIRST newbie tip would be the syntax on how to turn newbie tips OFF, and the syntax to access the helpfiles on all the different newbie tips so people can pick and choose which ones they want to read, IF they want to read them, and WHEN they want to read them.

For a roleplay intensive game (whether this week's definition of an RPI or otherwise) -

1) Have one OOC command that allows you to go OOC if you need syntax help or if you're just totally lost and would like for someone to take you somewhere private to give you a hand getting adjusted to your new surroundings. Do not make this a "global" channel. Instead, allow whoever is in the room see it, or allow the user to target the command at someone specific in the room so that everyone else can continue RP undistracted.

2) On the login when you first bring your character into the game, have a simple paragraph letting the player know the syntax for leaving the building they show up in, and a reminder of where to find the newbie help files on the website, and how to communicate with the staff in-game if none of the players are around and you're completely stuck.

If it's a hack-n-slash, provide players with a quickie paragraph reminding them that "x" is fair game while "y" is not permitted or requires approval from staff/in-character lawmakers. (such as the PVP rules or killing mobs in town, for example.

On all games - give your players the option of using the game's colors, using no colors, or using their OWN colors if they prefer. There's nothing more annoying than being stuck with a choice of a) white text on a black screen or b) fuscia mobs, green room names, orange PC names, black exit names, on a sunny yellow background.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote