Thread: Dynamic Content
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
Raesanos

Raesanos is on a distinguished road
It sounds like a lot of people have done similar things to what we have done, such as letting players see data that you'd traditionally get in game (such as helpfiles) and allow staff to manage game data through their browser.

I think what specifically got me thinking, and subsequently posting this thread, was the notion of managing data that isn't drawn from the game itself. My staff responsibility list above was an example of what I mean; this data is not used by the MUD itself but makes sense to centralize from a web design standpoint. Another thing I'd like to do like this is our list of players who volunteered to be a resource for newer players.

Traithe said was that their website's staff list auto-updates, and I'm assuming that means from game data. Interestingly, I made a system that works the other way: the in-game staff list auto-updates from a database that is managed via the website. I could see advantages either way, which way makes sense probably depends on how the particular MUD is set up, but its interesting to see a different approach.
Raesanos is offline   Reply With Quote