View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #66
Fiendish

Fiendish is on a distinguished road
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

Sorry, but this answer demonstrates that you really don't get it on several fundamental levels, so I'll just keep trying to help you. Also, I must say that I'm impressed by your uncanny ability to draw a parallel between gaining an unearned mechanical advantage and skin color or sexuality. Wow. Really? Just wow.

You're about a hair's breadth away from invoking Hitler. If that's where you want to go with this, then so be it, but you might want to step back and consider how ridiculously specious your argument is that a rule that prevents an unearned mechanical advantage in a competitive event is equivalent to a rule denying entry to homosexuals. One prevents circumvention of game mechanics, and one does not.
But beside that...
If "lots of players would flock to such a MUD" and the MUD administrator agrees with racist or homophobic ideals, then it most certainly is the right move to set up a MUD like that. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it "The Wrong Thing To Do, thus spake The Lord".

You have it backwards. The MUD exists. The players go to it. The players do not first go up to a person and say "We want you to build us a MUD." You might as well be arguing that the rules for Backgammon or RISK shouldn't exist. Some other rule set might be equally viable and worthwhile. But then you wouldn't be playing those games.

It's not any less reasonable than regulations on what kind of bat a MLB player can use or on what kind of bike a participant in the Tour de France can ride. If you want to use a metal bat or a recumbent bike, go somewhere else. And, really, no, you don't need to demonstrate anything.

My dislike of network television sitcoms could be considered an irrational dislike if you think that they are great. There's not any metric by which you can objectively evaluate the rationality of like or dislike for a certain type of television show. So now you're saying that networks that don't show sitcoms shouldn't exist because they indulge my irrational dislike for that subgenre. Maybe my dislike for Tolstoy is irrational to a person who likes 19th century Russian literature. So now I can't make a book club that refuses to discuss Anna Karenina, because you say that my preferences shouldn't be indulged. You're out of your mind.

Last edited by Fiendish : 08-04-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Fiendish is offline   Reply With Quote