View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #71
fjin

fjin is on a distinguished road
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

My take of macros/triggers and botting.

As long as player is keeping that window at sight when certain operation is running, it should be fine.

Idea is that, if other player is coming to same room, then they can have In Character chatting at the same time when, for example crafting script/routine is going on.
Same for speedwalking and pre-scripted routes, for example frequently visited shop and home. As long as player can stop the movement, and start chatting with other player who the player character sees in mid route, it should be fine.
Same for other frequent small actions, like opening door, going throught, closing door behind.

But I guess, you others are consentrated about cases, when someone makes character, downloads certain client, and downloads huge botting add-on and lets it run couple of months.

If that gives any relevant advantage to that "player", then your MUD is actually single-player game, what just happens to be online.
Only way to interact with players is to have bigger Score or Level than other guy. Obviously we are not talked about ROLEplaying related games.

Think the way that makes use of botters.
Instead of having shop where Iron Bars are sold, make mine, and create procedure where players must manufacture own Iron Bars and perhaps sell those to other players - actually even better if they can't sell products to NPC, they have to search player who buys those 10000000000 Iron Bars they have. And let few players handle that Iron Bar production in whole world.
Their characters are then not actual players, they have become NPC:s.
... And that what they have willingly choosed to be.

And if storage room has over certain amount of products, then make some products be destroyed by Rats. Or make that storage room hold certain amount/mass of items, instead of being unlimited capasity.
"Hmm... where I put these 37*10E374585 brown shoes I have been done."

Point and score competition can be taken away by hiding those numbers. No levels, then no level competition.
fjin is offline   Reply With Quote