View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #80
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Do MUDs need to be "brought into the 21st century"

I think you need to read up on legalese a bit. "Resold or redistributed" means that you can't, e. g. print posters of these images and re-sell them, or start a clone site and sell the same images to other parties, conferring the same rights. You can, as the license states, use these images as part of your own commercial project, with your own clients, like in a computer game that you can charge your clients for. They do require a link in the credits, but that's not much to ask for.

It's actually pretty clear to me what constitutes text-based and what doesn't in all the edge cases you mentioned. But it's really not a topic I care enough about. For example, I'll be totally fine with everyone in this community (as opposed to only half the people so far) calling my game a non-MUD. Just like I'm fine with TMC not listing my game under "Graphical MUDs" but listing World of Warcraft as one.

I suggest we stay focused on the topic of modernizing MUDs, rather than on who considers what to be a true MUD.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote