Thread: Medievia
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #21
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
In my opinion any mud that is in it for "profit" is no longer a mud. My definition of a mud is a text-based game that is free to play with no profit involved, that's the way it started and I think that's the way it should be. It does not take extensive amounts of money to run a mud, and even when you get up there in huge amounts of players like Aardwolf or Medieva or any of those Iron Realms games, it's still not that expensive to run.. that is unless you are in it for profit.

To gain profit you must spend money, which is why it costs money to run all those oh so wonderful pay-to-play muds out there that we all love. I can't even imagine paying to play a text-based game.. or giving any real life money at all for an item (which is nothing more then text and code) it sounds so wrong, I think someone should have to earn that item just like in a tabletop dungeons and dragons game. Did we ever charge people to play D&D with us? I never heard of the almighty DungeonMaster of the Iron Realm.. anyway that's my rant about Pay to Play muds, I think it's just wrong for the mud-world.

-D
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote