View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Help me find an easy mud with gathering and crafting focus?

I didn't want to mention my own Mud, 4Dimensions, at first, since you put minimum 10 players on line at all times as one of the requirements, and we sometimes drop down to around 5. We also don't have a specific Trader Class, since all the Classes want the option to trade.

However, if you really love exploring, collecting, trading and questing, you should give 4D a try. We have a pretty well developed Trading system, which gives rewards both in the form of Tradepoints and sometimes Quest tokens, but also exp points, so that you actually can use it as an alternative to mob-killing to advance in the game. Basically the idea is that the exp given for each trading should be pretty equal to what you get by spending the same time killing mobs.

We also have detailed 11x11 ascii maps in the zones that are based on wilderness grids, and smaller maps of just the closest rooms in 'normal' zones. Both are called with the command map. In addition, there are also graphic maps of many of the more important areas on the website.

The following features are presently part of the Trading system:
- collecting (herbs, nuts, fruits, seafood, pearls, eggs, artifacts etc.)
- grape and olive picking
- fishing
- farming
- gardening
- mining
- lumberjacking

Many of the products that you get from these basic occupations can be developed and refined by special Contractor mobs, and the developed products can be sold for a much higher price than the raw materials. For instance grain can be ground into flour to bake bread and pastries, but also used to make beer and spirits. Grapes can be pressed into wine, olives into oil, etc. Various wild herbs and other natural assets are also used for potions, which also have a use in the game, unless you want to trade them to the mobs.

For a new player the Greek Islands in the PreHistoric Dimension, or the assets around Olde Yorke in the Medieval Dimension, would be the best part to start trading, although obviously trading in high level zones like Egypt and Kush will yield quite a bit more, but also present greater dangers.

You can find detailed info about the Trading system on our website, and also in the Trader's Office, south of Recall, which is the central point of the Mud.

While the Trading system has been in the game for a couple of years now, we are still working on the more complex Crafting system, and on a Cooking and Catering feature, which will be implemented shortly.

4D is mostly focused around exploring, questing, Trading and hack'n'slash. We have restricted PK, and many of our players roleplay, but it's most definitely not enforced. Basically I'd say that 4D is ideal for a casual player, because you will never run out of things to do, and there are many choices. Some of our older players have been with us for 10 years by now.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote