View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: The PG13 Dilemma

I am not sure what your source is for this information, but it actually is indeed very uncommon for a case to just get "thrown out of court." It is considered contrary to public policy to not give someone their "day in court", and thus judges are extremely reluctant to just toss something as frivolous without a motion to dismiss or a motion for summary judgement from the other side.

My personal experience with this is from actually practicing law. I have not done so for almost 10 years, but I still keep up with the profession, still have a lot of close friends who are lawyers, and work with our company's lawyers on a very regular basis.

Just so there is no misinterpretation: I still believe the OP is worrying over something that is very unlikely to ever be a problem. If he did have to defend himself, he would be on very strong legal ground (most likely). But an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

This post is not legal advice. Nobody should get legal advice from a gaming forum. I am only interjecting this because it is dangerous (and potentially costly) for people to operate under the assumption they can just walk into court, cite the DMCA or the CDA and blow out of there.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote