View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #38
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

Its such a shame that a small / shrinking community spends so much time playing one upmanship and engaging in arguments over semantics instead of trying to strengthen the community and keeping these arguments to private posts.

Anyone taking a small dip into the world of muds and finding this site is not going to stay long with some of the attitudes on display.

Just my two pence worth as I am tired of my 'every other day; visits to the mudding world ends up in reading the same old tired arguments instead of potentially getting excited by new developments / ideas / worlds.

By the way, I am a player, not a developer. I am not also aiming this post ant any speicifc person on these threads.

and as I see it *staying on topic) as a PLAYER

RPI - When you play the game you are in character ALWAYS.. with limited channels for OOC communication which can be switched off for immersive play. Any out of character communication is strictly forbbiden when in the game arena. Examples Threshold, Armageddon. I tend to steer clear of this kind of game now as people tend to lose the grip between their real selves and personaes when engaging in OOC chat.

RP - Every other game where you create an avatar and play that person. Doesnt matter what you do / say in the game, you just take a role and start playing.. maybe you act, maybe you dont. I would put something like Gemstone in this bracket.. some people do the 'acting' but will quite happily discuss game mechanics as well.. nice and relaxed and you never get so immersed you forget its a game.

Why be more complex than that? All MUD:s are effectivly Role PLaying games as far as I can tell.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote