Thread: Permadeath
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I first couldn't fathom even considering a permadeath system. I've played only a few text games, and no graphic multiplayers before. But now that I've been playing one, I can't imagine ever going back to the "rezz" system. It just seems to cheapen the experience, that pounding in your heart, if you know you'll be up and about in a few minutes again.

I used to be annoyed in the rezz games when I died and had to lose major experience points, because it meant another week of power-hunting up to gain my next level or next build so I could train again.

But in Armageddon, such need to power-hunt doesn't even exist, since there are no levels, and no training points. The mechanics are much more seamless than that for improving skills, which completely removes any need to "level up."

I like permadeath now. It makes me think hard about my character's actions. But even sometimes, I have to allow my character to get into situations in which I know she's gonna die, simply because it makes sense for her to get into them. In other games, players won't think that way. They'll do things with their characters that don't make sense, just to avoid death. But fortunately the maturity level of other players in Arm is such that people WILL risk losing their characters for the benefit of good roleplay.

It isn't just permadeath...it's the players' approach to it that makes all the difference, in my opinion.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote