Thread: MUD Features
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
Mercan

Mercan is on a distinguished road
A couple of thoughts from my own experience:

1) Small bits of information at a time are especially good. If I run into a huge introduction, or even a long help file when I'm starting out it is probably going to get skimmed at best

2) Hooks for different player types are always a good idea, unless your game is focusing on a certain player type. Basic skills and combat stuff tend to get focused on since that is where there is often the more complex syntax. But non-combat oriented players may not be as enthralled with that sort of thing. Good hooks about player run politics, or important quests or merchant opportunities sort of broaden the appeal of the game.

3) Good Newbie Areas. Regardless of the intuitiveness of help files or colour schemes I usually make it through chargen without too much trouble. It is in the newbie areas where I end up making up my mind about the long term playability of a game. If I just get dropped into a rote mud school where I fight a few things and get some equipment and then just end up on the street, my attention is going to wane quickly. If there are lots of interesting quests and things for me to do as a newbie, things that draw me into the game and give me a motivation to learn, then I'm a lot more likely to stick around.
Mercan is offline   Reply With Quote