Thread: Botting - why?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Botting - why?

True. It's not really possible to entirely eliminate botting, but games can at least make it less desirable by creating ways of advancement that are more fun and interactive, and if botted, would require teams of bots to take the most advantage. I like to think that it's less likely that someone would park their doctor charcter in town square, and let the entire mud trigger his doctoring powers by telling him command words, than it is for someone to automate their doctor in a dark corner and have him kill rats, pick cotton, or craft bandages. Even when it's not against a mud's rules, there's a certain embarassment and stigma against automated playing.

Because then, even without mud rules/policing of bots, people are going to have a problem with that. If I'm playing a doctor character and not botting, I'm going to take serious issue that nobody's coming to me for doctoring and I can't advance because some bot set up shop in town square and told the mud what words will trigger what powers. I'm going to hire a pickpocket to steal all of his bandages or something, and stand right next to him and trip his triggers all day in ways that will hinder him.

Regarding the multiplaying aspect, most muds are pretty against that, and I'm all for muds that regulate multiplaying. The point of a multiplayer game is to play with other players. If I'm going to play 6 characters at once, so I can team bot them all to glorious levels of power, I'm totally playing the wrong kind of game.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote