View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #79
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

RPIs are games with coded systems just like other MUDs. The difference is not the existance of any form of such scale but rather the existance of such knowledge to the player. Behind-the-scenes the numbers still exist but a player in an RPI will never see them.

At issue is not whether or not there are multiple ways to achieve a goal. The purpose of this discussion is defining what methods are employed by RPI MUDs as opposed to the methods of other MUDs.

What is more so at issue is the environment and enforcement of it. Walking up to someone and saying "Isn't this game fun" isn't role-playing. It's stepping outside of the role to comment on the OOC fact that it is a game. No code can prevent such an action. However, code can be designed to prevent the use of specific OOC information such as precise skill aptitude determination while the existance and enforcement of a policy of only strict IC-only behavior can determine the appropriate and inappropriate nature of such behavior as in your example.

You seem to have been confused by my point. RPI is a combination of a set of code and policy features intended to support and maintain role-play as opposed to

If I recall correctly, it was Brody who once cited a difference between the terms "role-play" and "roll-play". The former has nothing to do with levels and skills and levels and skills have nothing to do with role-play. At best, the possession of a skill can dictate the appropriateness of role-playing the use of such ability. In this regard, that's where code steps in to maintain the standard of what can and can not be done in role-play and how effective such abilities may be represented.

I'm not saying RP MUDs can't have global channels. I'm pointing out the fact that every MUD undisputedly accepted as being RPI does not have global channels. In attempting to form a definitive feature set for what constitutes an RPI, a good method to do so would be to identify those uncommon features shared by all such universally-accepted MUDs. Hence the lack of global player-useable channels would be one such characteristic of RPI.

Take care,

Jason