View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
I find that RP in an "RP Encouraged" environment, i.e. one VERY heavy on the code (HnS, usually), offers significant opportunity for long-term RP.

The major difference is that the player has to figure out what the design for the character track was intended to be, and then decide whether or not to 'fill out' the code's/coders' plans for that Guild/Race/Clan, etc. I will contend that while this doesn't offer nearly as much 'freedom of choice' as to what a character can do or impact in the game in the short-term, a long-term player tends to grow into all the character they can be.

A dynamic emote system coupled with extensive social emotes can provide unlimited in-room RP opportunities, and global channels tend to be where some of the 'realest' RP shows up. There is nothing better than watching a Serpent Warrior and a Knight goading eachother into an arena, publicly. ;>

Hard-coded systems can offer great teaming/partying opportunities, but also allow for individual play, so that players don't *have* to function in a group. Global channels offer RP opportunities that let people gain XP solo while simultaneously chatting in their RP voice.

I know I've mentioned this before, but here it is again: I have walked onto RPI MU*s as a female character and typed 'bow.' My character curtsied quite prettily. I gagged.

I find *that* kind of code VERY intrusive to my RP. Just because my character is female does not mean she will always curtsey. It is ridiculous to curtsey when one is in pants. A respectful bow from a female puts her on the same footing as the males. I understand that it is *that game's* intent that women should curtsey, just as it is my game's intent that one's Guild dictates many of the character's 'actions.' However, there is a significant difference to me when fighting style is dictated by code and when emotes or socials are dictated by code.
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote