View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #109
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

Professional vs. Hobbyist.
Pay vs. Free.
Commercial vs. Non-Commercial.
Payment vs. No Payment.

Semantics.

The reasons may vary, but it seems the arguments all revolve around personal like or dislike of those words. Why not let the commercial/professional/paid staff Muds decide on the name they wish to use and the non-commercial/free/hobby Muds decide on theirs, like this:

1. [ ] Professional, Paid Staff, Commercial Game. Required Fees.
2. [ ] Professional, Paid Staff, Commercial Game. Donations and/or registration fees. No rewards.
3. [ ] Professional, Paid Staff, Commercial Game. Donations and/or registration fees. Rewards.
4. [ ] Non-Professional, Non-Commercial, or Hobby Game. No Donations or Registrations accepted.

If your game is not 1, 2, or 3, then you are a non professional game, by definition. If you are a hobby game but accept donations in any form, you are a commercial game.

The big argument I see is that the pro games want to be called something other than payment game for the connection to sounding pay to play or "costly" to play, which I can understand and agree with, while at the same time the non-commercial, non-professional games do not want to be called "hobby" or "non-pro" for the reason that it sounds "poorly built". Again, I can understand and agree with it whether true or not.

By adding the categories as listed, I think you cover the basis, or if you don't want all categories, let the Admins who reside in those categories decide what they should be called.

Fair enough?
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote