View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
may start a mud: what would you prefer?

Hello,
So, first, let me say that the thread title is perhaps a bit misleading: I suck at writing them. Then again, it may fit perfectly and just be my perception of it; the particular issue was making the title fit the response I'm looking for. But I digress.
Essentially, for some time I've been thinking about starting a mud. This, obviously, has gone nowhere, mainly for lack of motivation. The long and the short of it is that players are good, and I'm curious what's either not been done before or not done to the point that I'd be targeting a market with no potential for players, kind of.
Essentially, I'd be curious, for those of you without a "ideal" mud, what that would be. I'm basically looking for common factors that people want to see and that haven't been done before, have been done before but not to death, or that every mud should have; in addition, if you mention which mud you took it from (if you did) and I like it, I might just log on. Bear with me, the common thread here isn't immediately obvious; I'll put a note at the end that summarizes what I'm getting at, for those who think I'm rambling (this is a common response to me).
My personal thoughts are either a fantasy mud that actually has a lot more freedom or the other option below; crafting comes to mind, as does some sort of new magic system. I briefly considered gw2-esk combat along one axis, ala dark legacy, but that'd be hard to pull off in a fun way, and I'd probably end up frustrating a lot of people. Magic is another lacking field that I've seen; as a mage you "cast fireball"...what. You should at least have to chant something, or have the freedom to make it a fire stream, or my current idea, some sort of dynamic system where you chant runes with the strength of the spell being dependant upon how long between each one (don't go too far, or the power blows your head up or something). Mind you, this idea changes just about every other day, so.
On the other hand, something like miriani or star conquest; my ideal mud is fantasy, but it looks like the market for this type of game is more lacking. From what I've seen, if you write a mud like that, you get players. This is pulling from mudstats, so beware of that; however, that is a useful tool. Essentially, think slipgate legacy; I never played it, mainly because I was waiting for them to be more developed, but they took the idea of miriani and actually gave it a much, much more complex piloting system with headings and such. Ironically, starting, this is easier to code, especially on top of moo: in moo, you can write a lot of small pieces and get immediate feedback. But why the two major versions of that are coded on top of moo and my probably incorrect thoughts are for a different thread.
So basically, I'm interested in which of the two above or something else you think would be fun and would bring players. If I wrote something, got it to a releasable state, and actually kept motivation through that project, I'd go after the non-mud crowd; for the second, a graphical client, even with 3d graphics, wouldn't be too hard to write, though it would of course take time. Unfortunately, I'd have to get someone else to do it, but I digress again.
Essentially, I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I put it here; I'm interested in possibly coding a mud or moo or something but my Ideas aren't fully formed, but this is because I've not found something that keeps my interest for more than a few months at a time, so I'm kind of a bit looking for reccomendations.

Anyhow, I hope that was followable; I'm sometimes outright cryptic or way over on mars, or something.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote