View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #19
SirTank

SirTank is on a distinguished road
OK, what if..IF we did pay you to play? It obviously wouldn't be enough to live on, since the pbase, and business model just can't support paying out thousands of dollars to thousands of people. But what if, you earned real money by playing a MUD? Would you? Would you sacrifice gameplay, or demad more gameplay? Would you be bothered by auto advertisements, or website ads for products or services in the MUD world that reflect real world? Where would the majority of playeres draw the line?

Some MUDs are focused on getting money FROM the player, what if a MUD was focused on GIVING money to the player? I have often thought about this. The problem is, you either have to first get the players to agree to a certain level of advertising then try to find companies willing to advertise in that way, or find companies willing to advertise, and then try to get your pbase to accept it. The advertising numbers for a mud aren't that hot. It's hard to convince anyone to shell out money to advertise to a few hundred people.

If I had the time to go after advertisement dollars I would. I would love to pay people $1 per level to play. or $10 for completing a hard quest etc etc. My MUD is already completely free to play, anything else would just be cake! At least I think so, I don't know tho, I imagine other people would be thuroughly disgusted with playing a Virtual fantasy world, where the town's blacksmith's shop name is the name of a real Smithy with his URL or phone number in the room's description.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I could do it. I know enough people in the medieval/fantasy business that would shell out just because they know me, and I could raise a few thousand in no time, but realistically how long would that last? And I of course have no projection for the return I could quote the businesses.

Tank
ww.timesmud.com
SirTank is offline   Reply With Quote