View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 06:53 PM   #23
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
Thank you, Robbert. That was about as objective a post as I've seen in a while, and very much to the point in many cases.

I agree with everything you say, in fact, but I take personally don't follow the rule that people who exploit bugs in the code, even knowingly, get punished. I'm a perfectionist at heart, and I constantly encourage people either reporting or exploiting bugs in the code that I write. I play and run pure-pk games, and one of the biggest complaints I have an administrator is pbases who have no ability to expand their repertoire in tactical combat.

A good way to encourage them to try out new ways of fighting is to encourage them to look for bugs. They start looking for bugs and testing out new combinations and ideas on MOBs, and in doing to perpetuate a mastering of the game far beyond what most laymen-MUDders ever do.

So when I say that I blame no one but myself, and I don't punish players for overstepping their bounds in regards to bug-exploitation, it is largely because I want to get them to explore the code as much as possible.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote