Thread: Ancient Greece
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Italy was colonised by the Greeks during a period of well over 1000 years. So was Troy and other parts of Asia Minor, for that matter. And due to the myth, Rome itself was founded by an escapee from the Trojan War, Aeneas (ever heard of the Aeneid, by Vergilius?)

The distance between Rome and Mycenae is not much longer than between Mycenae and Troy, and the Greeks were great sailors. In fact, during that time the sea was not a divider, it was the main communication route. And the Roman culture, society and mythology is based totally on Greece, in fact the Gods are all but identical, but for their names.

The Medieval period lasted about 1000 years too, and I never heard this raised as an objection against Medieval Muds spanning over a too long period. What we are doing is not meant as history lectures, even though our facts in the mud are usually quite accurate. But Muds are mainly meant for entertainment. And after all, our main theme is Time Travel.

In that perspective I don't see Rome and Greece as very far apart, neither geographically or chronologically. Anyhow, Rome is next on my todo list, after Troy gets implemented.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote