View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #11
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: Voting period change - opinions requested.

Despite Threshold's apparent continued confusion, I would like to comment on what he said. *I* vote once a day, even here. Why? Because my work hours never place me at home at the same times two days in a row. 12 hour votes lets me actually vote. Imho, the ones that do 24 hours need something like, "once every 12 hours, but no more than twice in 48", or something, because I am **always** getting screwed out of the ability to vote when I need to on those.

As to the actual issue at hand, I really don't have an opinion. All reseting at all seems to do is make people *race* to cram as many votes as possible onto the site, so they can temporarilly be first (even if that only lasts like 20 minutes). Its quite absurd. A more reasonable way would to have what ever reset you want, but include something like, "last week", or even, "average over life of the mud", or something. Or maybe not. Mostly, vote systems don't really work too well anyway, since they often only show size of player base (vaguely), not *how many* of those players they do have do vote, or even what they would actually rate the mud at on a scale. And, some are likely to be more active in encouraging people vote, which means one with 150 players, where 120 vote, is still going to look bigger than one with 200, where only 50 vote. A fact that may have nothing at all to do with "if" its a good mud.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote