View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Re: Roomless World Size

Sorry, but what a pile of bull.

Your then saying most text muds dont have descriptions at all, they are full of copies, or written by random people or monkeys? There is a big leap from a trained monkey to the decent author. A decent builder will produce MUCH better quality than any auto-generated world without much training at all. I believe even a random builder found on these sites will do a better job in 90% of the times.

I think you are glorifying auto-generated crap muds over well written muds with good builders. Ofc there are bad written ones, but there are sure a lot of very creative builders out there.

IMO, an auto-generated mud is just a graphic MMORPG without the graphics! You don't even have what makes other text games great. I feel sorry for any poor soul that gets introduced to text games by dropping into an auto-generated world... I believe fully auto-generated worlds are a bad thing for the text mud community in general. It strives away from what text games have unique and one of the main points of actually having good written text as a descriptive media.

And OFC there *should* be a distinction in the listings between them!

It shows that people have spent work on the game. And it is a hint that the game is well written.
An auto-generated world is NEVER going to be well written in the same way. You can argue that how much you want, but you will never get the same type of depth, storyline and quality that a creative builder can produce.

However, i'm not saying auto-generated content is all bad. It may be nice for certain things and it is nice to have an option for indicating you use random generated material.

Last edited by Hephos : 08-27-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote