View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Is it Impolite Not to Share?

I've always subscribed to the "no OOC at all" school of roleplaying thought, where you just do what your character does, so on and so forth. However, a while back someone implied that they felt that this wasn't polite, that if your roleplay plans involve another party (positively or negatively), then these plans should be shared with that party's player.

Example: My character is the guard captain of a certain town. My character believes that the lord is oppressive, inactive, whatever whatever is ruining the town. He and his lieutenants plan a coup that will take place during some kind of event, because the plotters believe that the town's populace will support them and rise up against this lord. Is it impolite in any way to not inform the player of the lord? I mean, his character has no reason to know, unless someone spills the beans in an IC fashion. Is it rude to suddenly spring this negative situation on the player, knowing he will be (like his character) totally taken by surprise?

From my perspective, I'd never have thought I was obligated in any way to let the player know. I think the best way to keep OOC influences out of RP is to not introduce them in the first place. However, some people believe that every individual concerned with an RP "event" should basically be given a full briefing of what's planned. I personally feel that RP should be surprising, off-the-cuff and "live", rather than planned and scripted beforehand like an exhibition.

What do you think?

And to add an extra twist, what if the lord's player suspects something and asks in an OOC manner? Is it rude to say "sorry, not going to discuss RP in an OOC manner" knowing full well that he'll likely be upset with what transpires? And, is refusing to share basically telling that player "I don't trust you to keep IC and OOC separate"?
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote