View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #21
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Games as service

This thread seems to be going the way of that huge "Free vs. Pay" thread went. I have to say though, being one of the only "truly free" muds out there, I still agree with the_logos on the above statement: It is MUCH easier, less stressful, and an entirely different way of operating a commercial mud (or business) vs. a hobby/free for all Mud.

And I will continue to say that in many instances you get what you pay for. I can't imagine the difference in style of administration/advertising/tax issues/staffing/liability/credit/registrations/data base/cheating issues/ and on I would have to deal with if NW were to turn commercial.

Before everyone starts yelling "Hey, commercial doesn't make you better!" let me just say that EVERY game has it's advantages and disadvantages and the choice of better or more fun game is subjective by the consumer, but the statement still holds true in "most" situations and that is: "You get what you pay for." I can cite a hundred examples of this in the business arena, but I think everyone is smart enough to understand this concept.

So, for those that run commercial Muds, "Merry Holidays and I hope you do well this season and next year!" and for those that run hobbyist Muds, "Merry Holidays and let's all take a break for a couple weeks, kick back, put our feet up and do nothing...why not? No one is paying us to slave away over the holidays!"

Cheers!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote