View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 06:42 AM   #135
Harker

Harker is on a distinguished road
If I may add what is undoubtedly a "yes man" comment, I have been in a position of power in Achaea and abused it, and was censured heavily for it.

When I was active in Achaea, a novice who was kicked out of a guild received back 100% of their lessons spent on guild skills, and lost the guild skills. A probationary member who had not yet reached the third guildrank who was kicked out received back HALF of them.

Now, my guild was an assassin style guild (the Naga), and that class's novices are more deadly than most novices. That class gains the ability to afflict paralysis on someone, the cure for which was a rare and expensive herb which few novices had. So one troll decided he hated druids. He made a string of characters which would join one of the four assassin guilds, paralyze druid novices in the novice areas, and then kick them to death because they couldn't move or cure paralysis.

I despise that. Novice areas are inaccessible to older players (level 21 and up) and so the druids could not get help or be defended. So I made an alias which would use my guildmaster power to title the troll appropriately (Farty Pants _ McCankersore was by far my favorite. The alias then PROMOTED the troll within the guild structure and then outguilded him. The crucial promotion part means that the troll loses 50% of the lessons spent. That negates the use of that character. At level 5, all the lessons you have are what you gained on the tour, and you can't go back through.

It didn't take long (perhaps a day) for an announcement that such activities were over the line and that it was not to happen again. The announce post did not call me out directly but as I'd been crowing about the punitive effects of it, I got the point.

A few days later one of my guild secretaries who had not seen that announce did the same thing to a troll newbie. The secretary received a 90 day disfavour, lowering his skills, increasing the damage he takes, decreasing the damage he deals, and increasing the need for food and sleep. It's quite a burden. And the usual penalty is for 3-7 days.

The_logos' team acts this sternly against someone who cost a newbie 200 odd lessons that they did not pay for. And they were outguilded for sexual harrassment and use of an anatomically explicit epithet for the pudenda. But even so richly deserving of a beating, the_logos decided we'd beaten the kid too hard.

"Reprehensible?"
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote