View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #52
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

It's odd that there wasn't anyone on staff who noticed you in a cell sooner than four days. Might have been a case of slipping through the cracks. It's hard to say as I haven't been on SoI's staff since January of 2005 and can't really attest to the quality of the staff nowadays or their frequency online.

Sounds like you walked from one city to an opposing one. The situation is much the same as those hikers that Iran captured. The two sides are very suspicious of one another (as they're at war) and thus show no mercy to the enemy. I do know we had to crack down on players from one city going to the other because some people were treating it like a vacation. At one point over half of the humans created in Morgul were going to Osgiliath. But again, it's been a while since I've been on SoI's staff so I can't really say for certain.

Of course, if SoI or any RPI didn't meet your preference there's no harm in not playing again. It's what you should do if you find a game doesn't meet your taste. You're better off not playing and they're probably better off not having a disgruntled player who doesn't enjoy their particular game.

Your case doesn't sound like it but there are cases where the use of the term RPI by non-RPIs does create that situation. Players come into games with expectations based on that term and find disappointment because those expectations were not met. It's not necessarily the player's fault for having unrealistic expectations and it's not necessarily the game's fault for failing to meet them. The fault lies in the misuse of a term which created the unrealistic expecations either because the game incorrectly called itself RPI or the player didn't understand the meaning of the term. That shouldn't happen. The creation of the term way back when was meant to help identify a particular type of game and help those interested in that type of game find one a home with others who shared that interest.

Jason

P.S. -- If aside from that incident you did find SoI interesting, I would recommend playing in the city of Minas Tirith. From nearly all trustworthy accounts I've received, I understand that it is their best location for RP and if you stay inside the city you'll both be safe and be more likely to find the best RP they have to offer.

Last edited by prof1515 : 09-20-2009 at 06:27 AM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote