View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #70
Bakha

Bakha is on a distinguished road
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

I think his point is that the person being executed (or PK'd) would get an opportunity to say some last words, maybe address the executioner, talk to the crowd if it's a public execution, etc... prior to the actual killing. Whereas on a traditional hack-and-slash mud (and I'm not saying that your mud is one of these, just making a distinction), the person would just be killed without any regard for any potential for roleplay surrounding the death scene.

This is actually a point of discussion that often comes up on permadeath games (and I'm sure other RP games as well). How to manage this from a player perspective. If your character (and the player) really really wants to kill someone, it might not be advantageous to draw out their death scene. The person might find a way to escape, summon help, communicate the details of their death, etc... So on one hand you're trying to achieve the goals of your PC effectively, on the other hand, you want to give the person a good death. This often comes up in people bitching about the fact that they were just killed without any roleplay surrounding the death. This is usually countered by the killer saying, "I'd tried to kill that PC before and gave them roleplay to do it, and every time they took advantage of the situation and spammed flee." It's a Catch-22 for both parties, unfortunately, because they have competing goals while both enjoying the shared goal of wanting to have good roleplay.

There has been discussion on a variety of ways to balance out these competing factors. One thing that's been proposed (no idea whether it's ever been implemented) is to have a point of time between the drop to 0 hps or fatally wounded where the PC is considered dying and beyond the point of rescue. This would allow the PC to gasp out those last words or curse or make some emote prior to dying.
Bakha is offline   Reply With Quote