View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #83
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: The "Health," of Muds

Ide, I was thinking of this very concept today. Ultimately, I think MUDs reached a "community critical mass" long ago... and that critical mass has cooled ever since. Perhaps "cooled" not by its own entropy, but instead cooled by the fact that more and more folks were hopping on to the internet and building communities around other games -- and those communities have ultimately drowned the voice of this relatively small group.

I don't know of too many games out there that have communities of players spouting said game's benefits outside of the game's own supporting website. I believe that games that have reached such a status are newsworthy --- they are newsworthy simply because they have a tremendous and somewhat passionate playerbase - one that is large enough that it can expand into the far reaches of the internet and STILL find other players with which to exchange ideas. MUDs as a whole aren't there any more - they are no longer newsworthy to anyone outside of the development circle.

This is not to say, though, that the MUD community is not still "growing" --- its growth is simply not keeping up with the growth of other online game genres, however - especially in comparison to the overall growth of potential players.
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote