Thread: Dragonrealms?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Inferno had a similar system (somewhat) but they closed shop last year. There are very, VERY few simu-type games out there that are -not- Simu and free at the same time.

The only other one I know of has been in "beta testing" for the past 10 years, and they insist they won't take it out of beta til the game is perfect. Personally, I'd say if they can't get a game good enough for open release within 10 years, they're either doing something wrong or setting totally unrealistic goals. That game is "Unwritten Legends" and I tried it for a couple of weeks. The code doesn't support the roleplay at all, though it's considered a roleplay-enforced game and the players do tend to stay in character from what I've seen.

You could give that a try I suppose, but their training system isn't much like Dragonrealms at all. But it's the closest thing to a Simutronics-type game I can think of, that's free.

Other than that, you might try doing a little research on MOOs. The MOO code is basically the only open-source code I know of that has some of the same capabilities and limitations as the Simu codebase, though the codes are completely different.

Any game that's using the Simu codebase, and isn't Simu, has gotten a hold of an illegal copy of the code - since Simu's code and game engine are proprietary and not for sale or use to anyone other than Simu. So you're gonna have a hard time finding anything similar to Dragonrealms, I'm afraid.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote