View Single Post
Old 02-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #9
John

John is on a distinguished road
It's actually quite a funny story about how I found my very first MUD (which ended up being the third one I ever played).

I was doing a search for online games and came across a link for wotmud. Now this was 1998 so I didn't know anything about muds. The site was completely blank except for a telnet link. Clicked on the link didn't work. Find a couple of other sites that linked to it, still didn't work.

Last yr I read a book called "The Blue Nowhere" that briefly mentions muds. For some reason, I remembered the name to wotmud (probably was messing about with telnet and saw it as a recent place I tried to connect too) and remembered that muds were roleplaying games.

I found the OFFICIAL site for wotmud last yr and remembered it from all those yrs ago. This site had a LOT more detail, and mentioned muds. I still couldn't connect to it, but I did a search on muds in yahoo. I came across here, I saw "Merentha" in first place, clicked on it, saw it had roleplaying, saw the nice and friendly tone, hoped into the game.

It had a very friendly atmosphere, tons to explore and it encouraged roleplay. Well I played it for a week or so, and I helped a newbie kill some easy mobs (a bankers family) and he said "But won't someone know we killed them?" and I said "naaaw, I've killed em dozens of times" and then told someone else what he'd said (cause I thought it was funny, as in a naiieve way, not what a complete idiot this guy was way).

Later I realised I was no longer roleplaying, and that this guy had probably been roleplaying. So I stopped playing it and went in search for a roleplaying mud. I came across Armageddon and haven't left since (have had a break for a week here and there though).

Oh, and a few weeks after joining Armageddon, I finally logged into wotmud. Didn't like it much. LOL! (I've been spoiled by Armageddon).
John is offline   Reply With Quote