View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 09:48 PM   #10
Keahi

Keahi is on a distinguished road
Smile

I'm always looking for new MUDs to play.

This is no disrespect to the current MUDs I play. Heck, the latest two I've just found are so good, I'll probably be playing them for months to come.

But see, I like being a newbie. I love learning and exploring and the mystique of being somewhere I don't understand and trying to figure out what makes it tick. I also love seeing the different directions people are taking MUDs and discovering all the terrific new features out there.

I have no desire to be the "best" at anything on a MUD. I've no desire to spend lots of RL money and/or endless amounts of time repeating the same actions whatever they may be just to somehow outdo my fellow players. (Who is it who has that great sig, along the lines of "fun cannot be measured by your stats"?) But that's just me. Maybe I lack ambition. Maybe I just have a short attention span.

So yeah, I love having good new MUDs to play. But boy is finding them a chore! Because it's unfortunate but true, 95% of MUDs (if not everything) are crap, so sifting through the dross to find the gems takes some doing.

One tool I've discovered to aid me in this is site devoted to collecting statistics on Richard Bartle's MUD Quotient. You can take the test there and then opt to list the MUDs you play. Now, the thing is, you can view a summary of the recorded quotients of the people of have listed a given MUD, along with a listing of any other MUDs that they entered. Which is incredibly useful, because I can then go look at a MUD I like and see what other games people who play that MUD also think are good.

See, people tend to share sets of tastes and interests. If I like X, Y and Z and you like X, there's more of a chance that you'll like Y or Z than there is of Baz liking them, since he likes A, B and C but not X. This phenomenon has been exploited on the web at least since the days of Firefly and is still put to great use by the likes of Amazon.

I wish TMS had a feature along these lines. T'would help a lot.

K
Keahi is offline   Reply With Quote